Doubts Are A Matter of Perspective
Doubt affects us all. Anybody that tells you that they don’t have doubt, is not being honest with you.
Over analyzing every decision, you make and second-guessing yourself, to some degree, can be beneficial. Doubts are a matter of perspective!
“Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will”
Galileo said that doubt is the “father of all invention.”
Doubt forces you to seek different ways to get things done: doubting that you will be successful can amplify your efforts and be the driving force behind you exploring all your options. Leaving “no stone unturned” is a greater way to ensure success. If you don’t have any doubts whatsoever, you might not try as hard as you should, which may contribute to your failure.
Doubt can help you set goals. Breaking a large task into smaller pieces and giving yourself deadlines is a great way to be successful in completing those tasks.
Doubt can be a motivator – when you set out to conquer something that you doubt you can “pull off,” doubting that you can do it can drive you to prove yourself wrong. Your drive might be to prove other people wrong – people that doubt you.
Doubt can be used to our advantage – if we chose to use it to our advantage (perspective)
Getting rid of all your doubts is not likely. Therefore, using them to our advantage is a great way to coexist with your brain (that is trying to keep you from getting hurt – failing)
It is important to note that doubt is normal. Being hard yourself because you have doubts about yourself is foolish. We all do it.
Doubts are a matter of perspective! Not all doubt is bad.
What’s remarkable about you, is that you are reading this article.
Why? Because you want to learn how to deal with the doubts you have about yourself. You want to ensure that the doubts you have do not keep you from achieving your greatness.
Everyone has doubts, but not everyone is doing what they can to learn about them and how to deal with them, and you are! You are on the right track! We previously mentioned how doubt “can be used to our advantage? We want you to understand that it can be – and it should be.
However, there is a “dark side” to doubt that we must discuss. Once you understand the “dark side” of doubt, you will easily recognize it. We are going to tell you how to “put doubt in its place” too – so keep reading!
“When you doubt your power, you give power to your doubt.” ~Honore de Balzac
The Dark Side of Doubt
Every single one of us has a little voice inside our head that is constantly telling us that we “can’t do it” – whatever it is that we have in mind to do. The voice in our heads comes equipped with a million reasons why we can’t achieve our greatness.
That voice says things like:
- You don’t know anything about that
- There are already a million people doing that – there is too much competition
- You don’t have the time to do that
- You don’t have the money to do that
- You don’t know the right people – you can’t do that
(tell us what your inner voice says in the comment section below)
We tend to listen to this voice. We think this voice is us (we are thinking these things, so it must be us)
This voice holds us back from achieving our greatness –sometimes, it keeps us from getting started.
Constantly doubting your every move is not healthy. We are going to go over some ways you can get control. Keep in mind that you can get in control (if you desire to).
You are not “hopelessly lost in doubt” even if you have a severe case of it. It takes effort – but you can overcome doubt…. I am living proof of that. Doubts are a matter of perspective!
Here are some tips:
- Don’t think about the future: Life is now.
- Live in the moment. Enjoy what is going on in your life right now.
- If you have to think about the future, because you just can’t help it, do not allow yourself to think about negative outcomes.
- If you do start to think about a “negative possibility” stop yourself. Say, “No, I will not allow myself to think about that.” You might have to do this a lot when you begin this journey, but little by little, your subconscious mind will get the message – and it will conform.
- Don’t give up.
- Meditate: If you haven’t checked out our article on meditation you should consider doing so. Meditation is a great way to tell your subconscious mind that you are in charge. If your mind wants to drift and consider every possible tragic ending to every single situation – you can turn it off using meditation. Meditation can be used as a punishment for your subconscious mind. It will eventually learn that id it doesn’t want to be turned off (and it doesn’t want to be silenced it loves to talk) then it will need to do as you instruct it to do. Think positively or be shut down.
- Don’t try to climb a mountain in one afternoon: Take large tasks slowly and break them into smaller sections so you can celebrate every step along the way with achievement “pats on the back.”
Work: Bury yourself in work. You can’t overthink while you are working, and you will be productive if you are working too. The longer you keep your subconscious mind from rambling “doubtful thoughts” the stronger you will become at controlling your mind. The stronger you become controlling your mind, the less doubt you will have. Sounds like a distraction doesn’t it? It is! Distracting yourself from doubting works…try it!
- Don’t try to see the entire staircase: You don’t have to see the entire staircase to get started, you must only see the first step. Besides, you can’t control how things are going to “play out” as you begin your task, goal, dream or journey. So, figuring out all the ways to handle every single situation is not possible. Take things as they come and don’t forget to live in the moment and enjoy yourself.
- Do not be over critical of yourself
- Don’t compare where you are in life to where other people are in their lives: Life is not a race against each other.
- Read positive material: Check out our literature article for an amazing selection of books you can read to keep you believing in yourself.
- Listen to audiobooks that are inspirational.
- Listen to upbeat, positive music: Don’t be afraid to dance (even in the car where everyone can see you).
- Recite positive affirmations to yourself – they work!
- Write in your gratitude journal: You can’t doubt yourself while you are being grateful for all the wonderful things in your life
- Talk to friends or family (not about your doubts though lol): Keep the conversation positive and it will life you up. You can’t doubt yourself when you are laughing and talking to people who you love.
Step back: Take a break. We all need those sometimes!
- Keep in mind that doubts are a matter of perspective and do your best to see them in a positive light!
Doubts are negative thoughts
Be honest with yourself. Tell yourself all the reasons why you will be good at whatever it is you are planning on doing. Tell yourself how you will feel 40 years from now if you don’t “go for it.” Tell yourself that you are smart enough, strong enough, fast enough, enough (you too guys) and confidant enough to be great at whatever your destiny is. Tell yourself that nothing can stop you and that nothing will stop you – not even you.
Be honest with yourself. You know how you feel inside. Deep inside, you have no doubts. Doubts are only lying on the surface. They are there to see if we have what it takes to break through them – and you do have what it takes. You wouldn’t be researching how to make it happen if you couldn’t make it happen.
You don’t have to doubt yourself
Doubts Are A Matter Of Perspective
We process over 70,000 thoughts, ideas, strategies, and decisions on any given day. We don’t listen to all of them (we don’t have time for that). So, we choose what we think about (or latch on to). So, the good
We appreciate your feedback and would love to hear from you! Leave us a comment in the comment section below!